- Start planning your outfit when the invitation arrives. I don’t want you to obsess about it- but have a good look through your wardrobe and see if you have anything that would work. Try on anything you think might work and team it up with shoes, bag, coat etc.
- If you find you have some gaps in your wardrobe it’s time to go shopping. Set yourself a rough budget and set aside a few hours to begin the search. I would advise taking a pair of heels and having some makeup on to give you a good idea of how your outfit could look ‘on the night’.
- Once you've found your outfit try it on at home- and I mean all of it- including shoes, bag, jewellery and lipstick. This needs to be done 2 weeks prior to your event to make sure you have got everything you need. Pay attention to the details- do you need to get any waxing done? are you due a trip to the hairdressers? do you have the right accessories? do you need a new clutch to update the look? do you need smoothing underwear or a strapless bra? do you need a different lipstick/nailpolish? does the outfit need dry cleaning/alterations? does the outfit need styling tape to avoid any award moments?!
- Paying attention to the details 2 weeks out will save SO many styling dramas on the day- I promise!
- Lay your outfit on your bed from top to toe so you know exactly where everything is and there’s no running around screaming “where is my….???!!” about the time you’re supposed to be there.
- Allow plenty of time to get ready. Things always come up at the last minute- so if time allows plan to be ready half an hour before you’re due to leave to ensure a stress free departure.
Now that you’ve done all the hard work you can relax, have some fun and shine gorgeous women- you deserve it!